In less than one month, new enhanced security procedures for air cargo will come into effect which may lead to increased costs for the export of fresh produce by airfreight.
The Commonwealth Department of Home Affairs intends to introduce these changes including 100% piece-level examination of all outbound international air cargo from 1 March 2019.
Growcom Export Facilitator Peter Hockings said there are two options for growers to address the new requirements:
- Become a Known Consignor
- Utilise Freight Forwarder
Each option will have different implications and the right solution for growers will depend on their individual businesses.
In the resource list below growers will find detailed information on each option, an application form to become a Known Consignor, and accompanying industry guidance.
· Industry Guidance – Export Air Cargo Security is Changing
· Factsheet – Known Consignor Scheme and Piece – Level Examination
· Guide to Completing the Application Form (version 2.1)
· Known Consignor Scheme Application Form (version 2.1)
For more information regarding the new security screening requirements, please contact Growcom Export Facilitator Peter Hockings by calling 0427 118 953 or emailing email@example.com