The Australian Pecan Association invites new and existing growers in the Burnett Region to this free pecan grower information day – 21 March 2019.
The Australian Pecan industry is growing. Australia currently has approximately 1800 ha under pecans and produces about 3000 t in-shell (1650 t kernel) each year and growing. Pecan planting in Australia has increased in recent years with around 600 non-bearing hectares to come into production in the next five years and further development expected.
In fact, many people may not realise that Mundubbera is home of the pecan in Queensland with some of our biggest growers in the region. One of these growers – Boyne River Pecans would like to share their interest in pecan growing and in conjunction with the Australian Pecan Association are hosting a special free Pecan Farming Info Day, sponsored by Suncorp Agribusiness.
“Our family really love growing pecans and believe they are really well suited to our growing conditions in the Burnett region. We would like to share some of our knowledge and passion for pecan farming with others in the region who may be curious to know more,” said Michelle Chicken, farmer, business woman, host and organiser of the event on behalf of the Australian Pecan Association (APA).
The program will include a great line up of local pecan industry experts in the region.
“Overall, we would like to encourage people in the Burnett region who might be thinking about growing pecans, but who are not sure what’s involved, to come along to the day and learn from the people on the land what’s involved, and be able to ask all your questions,” said Scott Clark, President of the Australian Pecan Association.
The APA Pecan Growing Info day will run 21 March from 9.30am – 1.30pm and will include:
- A pecan farm tour where our visitors can walk around one of the largest pecan farms in Queensland and hear from our local growers Lindsay, Michelle & Boyd at Boyne River Pecans.
- Presentations by some of the district’s pecan industry experts – find out what’s involved in pecan farming in the Burnett region.
- Understand more about the pecan trees and their nutrition from Agronomist Tim O’Dea, Ag Plus Consultancy.
- Fly the farm… with Drone Bird Control & Farm Technology, Meg Kummerow from Fly the Farm.
- Alan Morgan from Moncherio Nut Harvesters will showcase the latest pecan machinery.
- Open question session down in the pecan trees with the growers.
“This free, fully catered event is a fantastic opportunity to come along and find out everything you’ve ever wanted to know about growing pecans in the Burnett region. Free transport will be available from Bundaberg – and we invite interested people to register and come along and join us for a great day out,” said organiser Michelle Chicken.
For more information, please contact Michelle Chicken email@example.com