Water for Profit
The Water for Profit program is Growcom Land and Water’s flagship on-farm service. Currently the Rural Water Use Efficiency Irrigation Futures (RWUEIF) program is being offered through to June 2017 in select regions. These are: Lakeland, Wet Tropics, Callide, Burnett, Central Highlands, Mareeba Dimbulah and Lockyer Valley.
Across these regions RWUEIF will deliver:
- Irrigation System assessments (application, pumps, fertigation)
- Farm mapping
- Irrigation scheduling training
- Introduction to the Scheduling Irrigation Diary (SID) and the Water Manager Tool (WMT)
- Farm water use efficiency reports
- Irrigation scheduling and fertigation training.
Operating across Queensland’s horticulture industry since 1999, Growcom Water for Profit has and continues to provide a service to assist growers implement improved water use efficiency and natural resource management, thus reducing risks to the farm business’s sustainability.
Our achievements have included:
- A high level of recognition in the horticultural industry with more than 95 per cent of growers aware of the program.
- Consistently engaged 60 per cent of horticultural growers participating in changed irrigation management practice and improvements (BMP).
- More than 10 000 growers have attended our activities and workshops, aimed at assisting them to improve irrigation efficiency and natural resource management.
- Assisted more than 1600 growers through the Rural Water Use Efficiency, Financial Incentive Scheme, and several other incentive schemes funded by various regional catchment groups. This has resulted in an average return on investment (ROI) of 3.5:1. A recent incentive program in north Queensland resulted in a 7:1 ROI.
- More than $230 million of gains in water savings and productivity.
- The production of more than 90 information sheets to assist growers to improve irrigation efficiency.
Growcom is well recognised for what it delivers on farm and for its technical input towards industry and government policy and programs. We work in conjunction with the Queensland Department of Natural Resources and Mines (DNRM), the National Centre for Engineering in Agriculture at the University of Southern Queensland , Irrigation Australia Limited, the Queensland Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, the Queensland Rural Industry Training Council, regional based grower groups, irrigation manufacturers and suppliers and various regional natural resource management catchment groups and consultants to enhance the delivery of our program and provide growers with further technical knowledge and assistance.
The Water for Profit resources page has a number of helpful tools and detailed fact sheets.
Growcom’s Water for Profit program is funded through the Queensland Government Rural Water Use Efficiency Irrigation Futures program represented by DNRM. This program is a partnership between industry and government to improve the management of available irrigation water and to increase the profitability and environmental sustainability of Queensland’s rural industries.